Thursday, February 26, 2009

Articles of Faith

I'll be honest its been a while since i've read these. With my new job I have to stick to the basics and understand the law of the procedure. I decided to look up the basics. To live up to the articles of faith alone is a lifetime achievement. There are two I connect with. I love article 11. This is an easy one to say but much more of a struggle to live. I think there's a way of looking at people with unconditional love. Sometimes we get caught up in the structure of a religion that we need to strip off the fluff and experience the essence. In the end when someone believes differently then you are you truly okay with saying they are okay?

11 We claim the privilege of worshiping Almighty God according to the dictates of our own conscience, and allow all men the same privilege, let them worship how, where, or what they may.

I can say this is a stamp of what I try to reach every day. I recently wrote Bridget an email and I talked about how I felt my values where ripped from me and I had to choose what I believed. It was that process where you no long do things because you are told or for what people think you should do but because you choose to be that way. I choose these:

13 We believe in being honest, true, chaste, benevolent, virtuous, and in doing good to all men; indeed, we may say that we follow the admonition of Paul—We believe all things, we hope all things, we have endured many things, and hope to be able to endure all things. If there is anything virtuous, lovely, or of good report or praiseworthy, we seek after these things.

2 comments:

  1. When you look up some of those words and you really read the meaning of them it is amazing what type of person we can become. To me all of these characteristics allow one to become Christlike in their lives. You aren't allowing yourself to turn inward only outward through your actions and your thoughts.

    Hope is to to cherish a desire with anticipation
    Benevolent is disposed to doing good.
    True is steadfast loyal, honest, just
    Honest is genuine, real, respectable
    Chaste is clean, spotless
    Virtuous is morally excellent, righteous
    Endure is to undergo (as a hardship) especially without giving in
    Lovely is delightful for beauty, harmony, or grace

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed this post. I like the idea of "stripping off the fluff." I always appreciate your insights. I, too, truly enjoy article 11. I actually find it vital to the plan of salvation and relish in its ability to capsulize the essence of agency.

    ReplyDelete