Tuesday, July 22, 2008

My thoughts, flexing muscle, and naming my blog

These all kind of correlate. I don't have any Children. I don't even have a pet (unless you count plants). What I do have is thoughts- ideas- questions. This is what my blog will consist of along with the events of my life. As commented about the picture of me flexing my arm "why is Joel flexing his muscles?" This allows me to flex the muscle of opening up and of using my brain muscle. You know when building muscle it is flexing to a point of fatigue that causes us to react. That way next time you are stronger, faster, and better. As it is with anything in life. Me being just me is a muscle that is pretty weak. I'm going to make it as strong as my arm. :)

My first thought has to do with naming my blog. This blog being initiated though family and all my siblings being married with children I struggled on how I should name it. Do I name it Joel and Lucas blog? Or do I name it something random like snaps? I decided with Joel. Because it is about me. As with all the other blogs they are really about one person. Even though they incorporate much of their family it’s still about them. Family becomes a big part of you, especially when it’s your own. But should you keep a small distance from allowing it to becoming all you are? I’m not saying family isn’t the most important thing and to most people it is. I just wonder how often people get lost in their family or in their family traditions and beliefs that they lose themselves. That they inhibit their progression or a more rapid progression. Are the being selfless or less of one self?

Now I think that family (in its many levels) is important or say I say so. But do I show it. I think I don’t and that is one change I’m making. I also think that it’s important to tell your family- no, it’s my time to develop this talent or this aspect and you need to respect that. Now I can’t imagine doing that with a 2 or 3 or a 2 and 3 year old. I am grateful those parents you take time to focus on those you can’t tell no too. I do love my family and all their unconditional love for me. Make sure that you don’t mistake being selfless for loosing you identity.

I know this is a long blog. But in the end I want to say that I understand that not everyone with think the way I do or see things the way I see it. I respect that and I will respect the ideas or thoughts you have.

2 comments:

  1. This is fun to see you on the blog! I always want to call when you are at work. It will be nice to see you more often and read your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm trying to think how to "dummy down" your muscle explanation to Luke...it might take a while. You posed a series of questions and I felt compelled to answer...

    I am not sure if anyone can really comprehend how difficult it is NOT to "loose your self" when you have small children. Their needs are constant and endless. I, personally, do not have the luxury of getting enough sleep. A vital key to wellness on every level. However, I have an 8 month old child that still wakes twice a night crying insistently. I cannot begin to describe the indescribable feeling of pull a child of my own flesh creates. It is an overwhelming desire to teach them, to love them with a depth I have never felt. So, your comments on "not taking time for self" struck me, because it is a personal challenge I have. Frankly, I'm not sure the challenge can be understood until one has children of their own. The ideas of "family tradition" were also interesting. We all create reasons, or justifications, around our beliefs...

    I do not post anything personal on my blog because my in-laws read it and use it to "find fault" with me. Even though my blog is "Bridget's Blog," I am clearly aware of my readers. They are not always kind. As a result, I protect myself with only posting about my children. What might seem like "lost in children" also may be working as a facade...

    I guess those are all the answers I had the the questions you posted. However, I am not entirely sure that you were "looking for answers" so much as trying to generate "questions." :)

    ReplyDelete