Tuesday, July 22, 2008

The DJ, the Black Bird, and the Fly

Even though I wasn’t going to post anything from the past and just start fresh I recently had a weird day last week. One of my friends from Salt Lake City recently died. He was a best friend to a person that was like an older brother for me when I lived in SLC when I was trying to grasp the world on my own. He was a DJ and he had a great smile. He always would forward me his cds that I could listen to at the gym and ended up sharing with most of my friends. Just as he was getting well known I found out he committed suicide. I don’t know why or the exacts but I was shocked. It seems like sometimes those who seem the happiest are hurting the most inside. Even though I knew him I didn’t burst out into tears. I was however affected by his death. That morning I heard Lucas yell from the bathroom “there’s a dead bird in the pool.” I was still in bed and I didn’t have my contacts in so it just looked like a piece of wood. (I have this thing that I can’t put my contacts in until I shower) After I showered and put my contacts in I went to the pool. Not only was it a dead bird it was a large black bird. Like a crow or raven. Well when I was little I heard somewhere the superstition of the black bird being a soul not being able to cross over. I scooped the bird out which looked and seemed stuffed. I then shocked the pool with chemicals. The rest of the day felt and seemed odd. I thought about death. Then that night I was going to take my contacts out and there in one of the eye cases was a dead fly. In all my years of wearing contacts I never found anything in the case. All these things of black and death. It all just sort of felt blah and so weird. I can say I started to get nervous. I went to bed thinking of why I didn’t cry. I never had anyone really close to me die. Or maybe it was being raised that death is just a doorway to the next life. Or that it was something uncontrollable. I’m just thankful for the people still in my life and the ones that make me smile.

3 comments:

  1. So that was intense. I liked it. I'll have Ryan read it too. I bet he'll like it. It is a strange moment to watch things permanently change...like death. Ryan had a coworker "overdose" from when he worked at Staples. I remember crying uncontrollably. I barely knew her. It was one of the strangest encounters I've had with death. No need to be nervous though...there is no correlation between the bird, the fly and the DJ...Weird, nonetheless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry to hear about your friend. I saw your blog link on Bridget's blog. I hope you are doing well! I've missed you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am sorry to hear of your friend's passing. That is strange to have a dead bird in the pool. Maybe all the chemicals in the pool took their toll:)

    When I was thinking about the passing of your friend I remembered about the time my father passed away. I had a dream or thoughts about three nights in a row that my Dad was going to die. When he did it wasn't a real shock to me. But how I missed him!! I wanted so much to see him play with my children, be a part of the earthly ordinances. Just be there to talk to. Life didn't turn out that way. What did he leave? He left us with the knowledge of the people that knew him knew that we were a family with integrity. He had the type of personality that he knew many individuals. If you applied for a job and they knew Dad they knew that you worked hard and were trustworthy. No one knows how long they have on this good earth. So make everyday the only day of your life and serve those around you. Of course we all have those "bad days" but there are many things to be so very grateful. Even that you got out of bed and could see, taste, smell, hear. We are so blessed.

    ReplyDelete