Sunday, January 18, 2009

Brain food

I came across this article on the livescience website and I liked it so much I thought I would post my favorite parts:

  1. The brain, which accounts for 2 percent of our body weight, sucks down roughly 20 percent of our daily calories.
  2. High glucose levels slowly but surely damage cells everywhere in the body, including those in the brain.
  3. The brain may react to excess food as if it were a pathogen. The resulting immune response, which occurs irrespective of weight gain, may cause cognitive deficits such as those associated with Alzheimer's.
  4. High blood sugar, coupled with a cognitive task, is associated with elevated cortisol — a hormone known to impair memory in high doses. In other words, don't get out the flash cards after that second (or third) piece of cake.
  5. The brain needs Goldilocks portions of energy: not too much, not too little.
  6. The brain works best with about 25 grams of glucose circulating in the blood stream — about the amount found in a banana
  7. Become a Grazer- eat small amounts all day.
  8. food affects everyone's brain a little differently
  9. With the Goldilocks approach, there is no need to diet to distraction. "Every single fad diet is total rubbish," Green said.

2 comments:

  1. That was really intresting- I have been a grazer all my life and I love it! Its kinda funny the other day Ethan told me that I needed to start exercising again. I just looked at him with pain in my eyes and told him that after I "pop" we can exercise together and he got all excited. He is so funny he askes me all the time is this healthly to eat. I dont think Trent and I really talk about stuff like that but he is aware of doing things or eating things that are healthy.

    Also in the car on Saturday Ethan says "Dad, you know my big bigger cousin Joel, well he likes sharks" Trent says thats cool but he is your uncle. It was pretty funny:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I shared your article with the health person in our work. Because of our insurance incentive to stay healthy. Gudmundson enjoyed the article very much. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete