Tuesday, August 19, 2008

OLYMPICS - what a dor tor




I’m not a huge sports guy. I’m into fitness and living a healthy lifestyle but you won’t often find me on the couch for Monday night football or crazed up for March madness (unless of coarse I’m in a bet). You will though see me yelling at the TV and spending hours cheering for the full length of a marathon during the Olympics. It’s the one time I am the sports guy and I don’t think I am alone in this phenomenon. I’m not sure what it is exactly about them. Maybe it’s that they only happen once ever four years; maybe it’s that it’s the best of the best; maybe it’s because it’s the one thing that unites humanity-maybe it’s all of it. Either way I love being a part of it.

This year swimming has dominated the Olympics with record after record being broken. It is awesome to see Phelps out there- like some Armstrong- showing that the human race, every now and then, makes a super being. But the person I enjoyed watching the most was Dara Torres. She’s 41 years old and she is amazing. Competing against people almost half her age has raised the bar and at the same time made the bar reachable.

Like Torres and many other athletes at the games there have been outstanding performances by people who are considered older for the competitions. It’s never to late start and you are never too old to become great. Of coarse these Olympians have been working there whole lives but it doesn’t mean that you as a person can’t start something today or refocus that thing you’ve always wanted to be great at. That’s why I love the Olympics they refresh, energize, and remind me that I should be always striving to be the best me!

2 comments:

  1. We pretty much have the same feelings that you do. I love to watch Ethan- he can spot an American flag from just about anywhere, he also recongizes it on the uniforms, so he wil yell, go America go- Over and over again, and then we will all cheer. He will also say "lets watch a race mom" It really has been fun to watch the games this time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We finally had to break down and go to a friends house to watch the Olympics (since the NBC player is CRAP). LOVED IT! Eric would get really excited--funny considering he is so small. Luke and Suzanne would have races to mimic the Women's marathon we watched.

    ReplyDelete